Archive for category SEO
A recent study by Forrester research shows that traffic generated from social media channels are on the rise, particularly amongst the younger users. Marketingprofs gave a nice overview of the contents of the report, which indicate that natural search and referrals are still the top two traffic generators. The report finds that 14% of Gen Y (age 18-30) are referred by blog posts while 10% are referred by Twitter, compared to 7% and 5% of all adults respectively.
I took a look at my statistics today to see how I fall compared to the Forrester report. Natural search makes up 71% of my website traffic with referrals (email, blogs etc) referring 8% of my traffic.
This means a few things for me:
- I need to maintain my rankings in the search engines as it is currently the way most people are finding our business online.
- Our social media strategy is not bringing in much traffic. I have said before that pharma/biotech is more reluctant to use social media so this is likely contributing to the lower statistics for social media traffic compared to the Forrester report.
- We can’t lose site of programs such as Email. While it may seem boring and not conversational, it is certainly something that can’t be ignored if it is driving traffic to your site. Upon analyzing my referral traffic closer, 25% of it is coming from our monthly newsletter that we send out.
It is clear that staying relevant in the search engines and increasing my newsletter/blog subscriber base is important. Continuing to add social media content will become more relevant for my business as the pharma/biotech industry increases its use.
The take home message: don’t get too wrapped up in all the newest things because that’s what everyone else is doing. Make sure you stay focused on the activities that are generating the most business (or potential business) for you. Keep in site the activities that are on the rise so you can ride that wave up as well (such as the social media).
What surprised me about the report is that Radio drives more website traffic than Twitter! I can’t even recall the last time I listened to radio – how about you?
You are currently browsing the archives for the SEO category.
- Where are your manners? Social media etiquette goes a long way.
- When personalization isn’t so personal!
- Using social media to enhance customer loyalty.
- What’s driving traffic to your website?
- Does a mobile app make sense for your business?
- Are you drowning in the social media sea?
- How to damage your brand in 140 characters or less
- Should you do social media?
- Content, Relevance, Distribution…What about Strategy?
- How effective is your brand’s social media strategy?